4.21.2014

Secret Recipe Club: Banana Coffee Chai Smoothie

.  So, this post is a debut of sorts.  A smoothie debut, to be exact.

As I've mentioned many a times before, SRC has been a way for me to broaden my baking and [very limited] culinary horizons.  And this month's assignment was most certainly a way to do just that.


From Brazil to You, published by Denise, is a blog dedicated to well, Brazil!  Denise was born and raised in Brazil but soon transplanted to the United States when she married her husband in 2002.  Since then, with extensive experience in the culinary industry, Denise has used her blog as a platform to share with her readers both classic and modern Brazilian dishes, as well as tid bits of information about her home country!

Searching through Denise's array of recipes was undoubtedly eye opening, how had I not heard of SO many wonderful things?!  From Arroz de Forno Cremoso (Baked Rice Casserole), Macarronada com Requeijao (Brazilian Mac and Cheese), and Bolo de uba com Coco (Coconut-Cornmeal Cake), it'd be an understatement to say it took me a few days to finally decide on what I just had to make from Denise's intriguing recipes.


But lately I haven't been in much of the baking mood, I think it may be that I'm trying to get on track with the whole wedding diet thing?  Or maybe because the weather seems to be turning towards the warmer side of life, which doesn't have me craving those comfort foods quite like the winter months.

So when I came across Denise's Drinks section, I knew what I had to try.

Banana Coffee Chai Smoothie.

Uh hello, how can you pass that up?

Sadly, and not sure how it's possible, but I've never made a smoothie before.  In my life.  Slightly pathetic, huh?  But I must say, if I was going to pop my smoothie-cherry, I wouldn't have wanted it to be with any other smoothie but this one.

Smoothie Selfie!
From the yummy banana to the spiced chai, subtle coffee flavor, and a drizzle of hot fudge sauce that brings it all together, this beverage hit that 'summer' feeling for me.  A refreshingly healthy smoothie perfect for a cool down moment on the hot summer days that I'm positive will eventually make their way to Chicago.

So thank you SRC and From Brazil to You for once again showing me the wonders of this blogging world I would have otherwise never known.  Until next time!

My Notes:
  • I used Light Vanilla Silk (soy milk) for the milk in this recipe.  It was absolutely wonderful if you're looking for a scrumptious dairy substitute, less calories, and more calcium!
Adapted from From Brazil to You

Ingredients:
1/2 c. hot water, divided
1 Chai tea bag
1 tsp. instant coffee
1 large fresh or frozen banana, cut into chunks
1/2 c. milk
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Pinch of ground ginger
2 to 4 tbsp. sugar, honey, or sugar substitute
4 iced cubes
Hot Fudge Sauce (optional)

Directions:
  1. Boil water and divide into 1/4 cup each.  Place the Chai tea bag in one cup and the instant coffee in the other.  Let brew for 3 to 5 minutes.  Squeeze out teabag and discard.  Pour the brewed tea and coffee into a blender.  Add banana, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and sugar, and puree until smooth.  Add iced cubes and pulse just until ice is crushed. 
  2. Warm hot fudge sauce until drizzling consistency.  Drizzle sauce along sides of serving cups.  Divide smoothie into cups and serve immediately.
Yield: 2 servings

post signature

9 comments:

  1. ummmmmmmm sign me up! That looks fantastic! Oh, and that fudge sauce needs to be mandatory, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This banana chai smoothie looks great. i'll need to make this the next time I have so almost overripe bananas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jessica! Thanks a lot for all the links... I am happy that you enjoyed this smoothie as well as several of my dishes. Wishing you a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was the first recipe I noticed when I looked at all the links and I wanted to click it first, but I went in order, eagerly anticipating this recipe at the end. My "dessert" so to speak. This sound SO good! I have a banana on hand and now I just have to get some chai tea bags. Why don't I already have them? I love chai tea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW - this looks so refreshing and delish! So happy to have your blog this month for SRC! You had so many tasty things to chose from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chai! Chocolate! Coffee! Yes please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the recipe and the pictures.
    What camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: