2.12.2014

Oatmeal Creme Pies for My Love

.  Cheesy post alert.

Okay, just kidding.


But you must know that Valentine's Day is this Friday!  Can you ba-lieve it?  And if you didn't know, you're welcome for reminding you.  At least you still have a couple of more days to get a present for that special someone...

But read this post first.

Unfortunately, my future hubby and I won't be together for Valentine's Day because as of this last Sunday, he will be in Omaha for the rest of the month for work.  Stupid busy season 😑


But before he was off to the Nebraskan 'Good Life', I had to make something to hold him over for the month.  Which means...a lot of something.  Portable.

So cookie sandwiches it was!

Robbie loves anything and everything vanilla or cream.  Or both!  And he can vouch, I did good on this one.  Or rather Bake or Break [BoB] did.


These Oatmeal Creme Pies are meant to resemble the cookie sandwiches from back in the day.  But I'll be quite honest, I'm not sure I'm old enough to remember these?  Or my parents were just plain cruel and hid them from me.  You decide.

Regardless, we hit the jackpot with this recipe.  But I am not one bit surprised since the recipe is from BoB, one of my all time favorite blogs.  Think Hummingbird Cupcakes, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake, or Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.  Each one a guaranteed pleaser.  Cross my fingers.

And this treat followed suit.  All the way from the chewy, chewy, cinnamon-ey oatmeal cookies to the über sweet creamy vanilla filling.  You just can't. go. wrong.


And I'm extremely proud to say that the container filled with these wondrous creme pies made it safely across the Midwest to the Hilton where Robbie will spend the next few weeks.  He better think of me every time he dips his paws in that container...

So although these cookies aren't sprinkled with pink confetti or packed with red filling, I made this treat with my [forever] Valentine in mind.  So I hope he's happy with my V-day contribution 💘


I wish everyone a lovey-dovey Valentine's Day, and hoping you spend it with the ones who mean most to you.  Plus it's on a Friday, so you have no excuse to not make some plans!

Love you all!  .


My Notes:
  • The original recipe only yielded 18 cookie sandwiches, but I managed to squeeze out two dozen.  The serving size will depend on generous you are with your scooping!
  • I honestly didn't think half of my cookie sandwiches would receive frosting but that stuff went a long way!  You don't need much in each sandwich because it's definitely sweet.



From Bake or Break

Ingredients:
Oatmeal Cookies:
1-1/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 c. packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 c. quick-cooking oats

Vanilla Cream Filling:
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
2 c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 375ºF.  Grease baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
  2. For the cookies, cream together butter, brown sugar, and sugar until light and fluffy [about 3 minutes].  Add egg and vanilla extract and mix well.  
  3. Stir together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and oats.  Gradually pour in flour mixture to wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
  4. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets [about 2-inches apart].  Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are slightly browned and centers are basically set.  Cool on pan for a couple of minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.  Repeat with remaining dough.
  5. While cookies are cooling, for filling, combine butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl and beat together until smooth.  Spread about 1 tablespoon of filling on half of cookies and top with remaining half of cookies to create sandwiches.
Yield: 2 dozen cookie sandwiches


post signature

5 comments:

  1. This is so nostalgic and reminds me of elementary school! Loved those oatmeal creme pies. I love it, and it caught my eye at the ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com party--I had to stop by!

    I would love it if you stopped by our Facebook page, and said "hello!"
    https://www.facebook.com/OurMiniFamily

    Your fan,
    ~Cathy Mini
    ourminifamily.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy snack great for the kids

    Coming from Mix it up Monday! Come-by my blog and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love oatmeal pies, I bet homemade ones are AMAZING! Mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite cookies! Thanks for linking up with What's Cookin' Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: