11.08.2011

Dorie's Best Chocolate Chip Cookie

It's official, winter weather is upon us [at least here in NE] and I am not ready for it.  Not in the least.  What happened to the beautiful Fall weather we had such a short while ago?  I want that back.  Now.


But enough of my complaining, who wants to hear about that.  I'm here to bring each and every one of you recipes, not the gripes of my life.  Right?  Right.  Well today, I have yet another classic cookie, the Chocolate Chip Cookie in particular.  But it's not just a cookie, it's Dorie Greenspan's BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie.

This recipe produces some classic, classic cookies.  Thin, chocolatey, buttery, and chewy.  Identical to those Toll House cookies America has come to love.  But homemade, so much better.  I made these cookies a couple of weekends ago for my parents visit, we all know how much Dale loves his plain, good ol' fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookies.  And this recipe fits the bill.


Personally, I thought these cookies were great but they definitely aren't my favorite.  Sorry you thin-cookie-lovin' people out there, but I prefer a little volume in my cookie, like the outrageously delish NYT Best Chocolate Chip Cookie.  But nonetheless, the flavors were spot on and if you're into that thin kind of cookie, whip up a tasty batch of these! .

My Notes:
  • If you don't have any Guittard chocolate chips just lying around [let's face it, who does!], Dorie suggests using 12 oz. of chopped chocolate [you can pick which type] or 2 cups of chocolate chips.  Dorie also adds in 1 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans, but I opted to leave those out because I knew Dale wouldn't want them
  • I'd recommend placing the batter in the refrigerator in between baking batches.  I didn't initially, and I felt like the cookies spread a little too thin [a.ka. burnt edges]. 
  • I'd also recommend only putting about 6 cookies on a baking sheet at a time.  Like I just mentioned, the cookies spread quite a bit and my first batch ended with one giant cookie.

Ingredients:
2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. packed light brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 lb. Guittard semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1.  Heat oven to 375°F.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.  Set aside.

2.  In small bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda.


3.  In a large bowl, beat butter on medium speed until smooth (about 1 minute).  


4.  Add sugar and light brown sugar and beat until well blended (about 2 minutes).  Beat in vanilla extract.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition.  



5.  Reduce mixer speed to low and add in dry ingredients in three portions, mixing only until each addition is incorporated.


6.  Fold in chocolate disks.


7.  Spoon dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.  Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are brown and golden in the centers (centers may still be a bit soft).  Let cool on pan for 1 minute before transferring to wire rack to let cool completely.


Yield: 30 cookies

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I think these would make a great base for an ice cream sandwich. Yummy! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chocolate chip cookies! Mmmm

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: