6.15.2011

Sending Prayers...and Raspberry Truffle Brownies

"Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."
- Joshua 1:9

. Another Tuesday gone by, and another Tried & True post missed.  But yesterday, I was doing something a little more important than posting a recipe.  

A little over two weeks ago, our department was shocked to find out that one of our Directors was taken to the hospital.  Within a couple days, we were all told that he had tumor in his brain and was scheduled for surgery that very day.  I really can't explain the feeling when hearing all of this.  I've only known our Director for about a year and half, but he has always held a very dear place in my heart.

During the fall of last year, I was having one of those weeks that seemed to be going down hill from the moment it was Monday.  During my lunch hours, I always run home to let our [three] puppies out for a little potty break.  So, of course, I went through my regular routine back to our [at the time] apartment.  When it was time to head back to work (wah, wah), I walked out to my car to find a white truck with blinking lights sitting next to my car.  Crap.  I knew right away this wasn't going to be pleasant.  Without getting into the knitty gritty details, I had way too many a couple outstanding parking tickets and my car was about to be towed.  Hello, panic.  I glanced at my watch and realized I had a meeting in less than hour.  After a phone call to the boyfriend, a few tears, and a trip downtown to pay off my parking tickets, I finally made it back to work.  And then after a long meeting that I couldn't tell you a thing about, I eventually had a chance to sit at my desk and breathe.

And then our Director came wandering by my desk and invited me into his office.  From the way the week was going, I thought for sure I was in trouble for something.  He sat down and gently swiveled his chair so his back was facing me while he gathered something out his drawer.  As he turned around, he showed me a black binder and starting flipping through the pages.  He explained to me that the book was from Awful Annie's Restaurant, a favorite place of his in California.  He always loved when I brought in baked goodies (and I always tried to bring him his own plate of treats) and figured I would appreciate his find.  He later told me that he had the book as well and photocopied the entire thing to give to me.  I know it may sound ridiculous, but I was blown away.  It was really one of the kindest and most thoughtful things anyone had ever done for me.  I couldn't believe that he had taken the time to put the book together for me.

Unbeknownst to him, his small act of kindness came at a time that couldn't have been better scripted.  I was a downer and I remember that my attitude completely turned around the second I walked out his door.

So yesterday, a few co-workers and myself took a visit to the hospital to see the Director.  Raspberry Truffle Brownies are from Awful Annie's recipe book [I've made them before] and I've wanted to make them for the Director for some time now because they are one of the most decadent desserts I've ever made.  Well, no more waiting around.  


I'm not really sure if he's had a chance to  eat them yet, but I'm fairly certain he'll enjoy the thick, chocolatey brownie topped with an even thicker layer of raspberry-chocolate cream cheese frosting.  If nothing else, his visitors will have a treat to snack on [if he shares!]. 

I know no one has a clue who I'm talking about, but I hope that you can keep our Director in your thoughts.  He's a wonderful, kind-hearted man, and that's really all you need to know.  Thanks everyone .

Raspberry Truffle Brownies
From Awful Annie's Restaurant


Ingredients:
Cake:
1 c. butter
2-1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
4 eggs
1-1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
2 tsp. instant espresso crystals
4 tbsp. water
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 c. all purpose flour

Frosting:
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
2 (8 oz. each) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. powdered sugar
3/4 c. raspberry jam

Directions:
1.  Heat oven to 350°.  In heavy saucepan, melt butter and 2-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips over low heat.  Let cool slightly.



2.  In large bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar.


3.  Dissolve espresso crystals in water.  Add to egg mixture with melted chocolate.  Mix well.


4.  Combine baking powder and flour and stir into chocolate mixture.  Spread evenly into greased 13x9-inch pan.



5.  Bake 30 to 35 minutes (do not over bake, as brownies will set up as they cool).


6.  For frosting, melt semisweet chocolate chips.  Let cool.  In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy.


7.  Add powdered sugar and jam.  Stir in melted chocolate.


8.  Spread frosting evenly over cooled brownies.


Yield: 24 brownies

*My Notes:
  • If you're not a raspberry fan, any flavor of jam will work!  I was thinking strawberry jam might have to make the next go-around, chocolate-covered strawberries anyone?!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that your Director is in the hospital. He really sounds like a wonderful man. I'll definitely keep him in my prayers. I bet those yummy brownies put a big smile on his face (and probably any other visitors nearby). :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, try apricot jam. It would be suggestive of a Sacher Torte. Better yet, are you up for a real Sacher Torte? I will keep your director in my prayers. I missed your mom this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so sweet! I'm sure your director appreciates you and your treats! BFM

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: